Saturday 26 January 2019

Welcome to my General Store!


Welcome to my General Store!

After my Malawian friends had left, I turned my attention once again to my project of sharing true stories of startling coincidences, this time in a blog.  The delightful one of “joined-up whiting” must be included, I thought, but if I showed a picture of the card would that be a breach of copyright?  I wrote to the artist, Simon Drew, asking for his permission.  To my great pleasure, he sent me another of his witty cards, this time The Joy of Gardening, in which – in ‘joined-up writing!’ – he gave me his approval and wished me luck with my stories.

Chuckling at the quirky gardener and the six witty rhyming elements of gardening, I looked round my living-room for a place to display it.  My gaze suddenly fell on the flower-pot and dish which Lizzie and Suzgo had brought me from Malawi.  Knowing nothing about me except my name, they had asked a local craftsman to carve my first name on the pot and my surname on the dish.  I was, of course, delighted with this thoughtful present but, as all my houseplants were too big to fit into it, I popped in a cheerful little artificial flower.



Now, as I viewed the card and the flower-pot together, I laughed out loud when I noticed the similarity between the two flower-pots!  I especially liked the way in which the seeds sown in picture one had bloomed by picture six, as this reflects my hope that the invisible seeds which I want to sow in this blog may flourish, bringing moments of cheer - and even food for thought...

 But I’m a bit “slow on the uptake”.  It took another three months before it suddenly dawned on me that on my kitchen window-sill I had another of Simon Drew’s witty creations on a gardening theme!  It is a mug specially designed for gardeners, as it has a useful lid to keep insects out.  For years, this is the mug which I have produced when my gardener Russell, whom I nickname “my guardian angel” has come in for a coffee and a cheery chat.



(As well as making me laugh with his witty, often risqué jokes, he often comes out with “Just you keep on being a Christian, Kath.  Whatever floats your boat!  But for me that’s all just a fairy story.  What lights my candle is Rangers F.C!”)

Opposite the window-sill is a tall kitchen cupboard.  On the inside of the door is a small poster which I created many years ago when I still lived in Alloway.  Admirers of Robert Burns will recognise the Burns Monument in the background – but may have more difficulty with the words! 

Try as I may, I can’t remember why I copied the Biblical quotation in French!  Perhaps I was in France at the time…  The words are from Matthew’s gospel, chapter 13, verse 52.  In my New English Bible,

He (Jesus) said to them “When, therefore, a teacher of the law has become a learner in the kingdom of Heaven, he is like a householder who can produce from his store both the new and the old”.

But I also like Eugene H. Peterson’s version in The Message:

 “Then you see how every student well-trained in God’s kingdom is like the owner of a general store who can put his hands on anything you need, old or new, exactly when you need it.”

I have come to think of my collection of true stories (from my diaries dating back to the 1970s) as being a general store, to which I welcome customers.  It’s now open every Saturday, with a new special offer!  So, I hope you’ll visit me then…



Footnote: Find more of Simon Drew’s witty creations on www.simondrew.co.uk




No comments:

Post a Comment