Saturday 9 February 2019

Linda's Strange Birthday (Sequel)




                                           Linda’s Strange Birthday (Sequel)


On top of my piano there is a framed reminder of Linda’s memorable birthday.  (See previous post!)




Five years later I decided to send the story of the “singing wood” to my favourite cellist, Paul Tortelier.  At that time there was a series of Tortelier Masterclasses on television which I loved to watch.  In addition, I frequently listened to my collection of his records, and his brilliant playing always inspired and energised me.  Bob and I had attended a concert in Glasgow when the audience had burst into spontaneous applause as soon as Tortelier appeared, beaming, on the stage – before he had played a single note! 

“He’s so charismatic that it feels as if he is bringing a mysterious extra something with him on to the stage”, Bob remarked.

One day, when reading his autobiography, I realised that he was about to celebrate his 70th birthday.  I decided to make him a card.  On the outside I pasted a photograph of a beautiful cello; on the inside I added to the customary greeting the story of the violin with the Latin inscription.  To my delight I received an answer, in the form of the postcard-size portrait which is now on my piano.

His wife Maud, also a cellist, had written the following message on the back of the card, which is dated ‘Nice, 5 September 1984’ (Bob’s birthday!)


 ‘Madame, my husband, at present on tour, asks me to reply in his name.  He was very touched by your kind thoughts and thanks you most sincerely.  The story of your brother-in-law’s father is very touching.  Touching too are the words of the wood, which go straight to our hearts…  Let us close our eyes and… listen.  Thank you, madame, for this poetic moment.  Sincerely yours, Maud Tortelier’


One of my favourite Tortelier records is entitled Encores, and includes The Swan by Camille Saint-Saens. Unfortunately, although there are videos of Tortelier playing major works for the cello, he apparently never made one of this favourite short encore. But several other well-known cellists have done so.  Whatever your taste in music, I can guarantee that you will experience a few minutes of blissful calm if you search for Saint-Saens, The Swan on YouTube.  Rather than watch the cellist play, why not follow Maud’s advice: just close your eyes and listen – visualising a stately swan gliding through the water… 






Footnote:This beautiful photograph was unexpectedly provided by a coincidence!  Just as I was editing the account of Linda’s strange birthday for my new blog, the swan arrived – on the front of a card from my friend Jim in Northern Ireland. (He knew nothing of that story nor of the sequel involving Paul Tortelier.)  Perfect timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment