Saturday 20 April 2019

Good Samaritans, April 2019


Good Samaritans, April 2019




But a Samaritan who was making the journey came upon him, and when he saw him, he was moved to pity.  He went up and bandaged his wounds, bathing them with oil and wine.  Then he lifted him on to his own beast, brought him to an inn, and looked after him there. Next day he produced two silver pieces and gave them to the innkeeper and said, “Look after him; and if you spend any more, I will repay you on my way back.” (Jesus, in Luke’s Gospel 10, 33 – 35)


Good Friday 2019   Lying on a hospital bed in the Accident and Emergency unit; waiting for a face x-ray, I glanced at my watch.  Three o’clock.  The hour at which the crucified Jesus finally gave up his spirit, on the darkest day of Holy Week.

I thought of some of the week’s news items.  The crowds in Paris watching in dismay as fire consumed the roof and spire of Notre Dame Cathedral, some praying silently; many spontaneously joining in hymns of supplication.  Others, when interviewed said, “I don’t believe in God, but I can’t bear to see the destruction of such a cultural and historic treasure.”  The 16-year-old Swedish girl’s passionate appeal for immediate action on global warming.  The murder in Londonderry of the 29-year-old woman journalist.  So much sad and depressing news.  And yet…

And yet, today I had experienced precious light in the darkness, just when I needed it most. 

Hurrying from the town’s High Street up towards the cobbled Auld Brig, I had tripped and come crashing down on my face. Stunned, I lay there, unable to move.  But immediately I heard the voices of two strangers who had rushed to my aid.  The man slowly and carefully helped me to sit up, then gently removed my damaged glasses.  The young woman held paper tissues to my nose, trying to staunch the flow of blood.  Another young woman rushed to a nearby shop and came back with two bottles of water and more tissues to bathe my face.  A young man stopped, pulled out his mobile phone and called for an ambulance, before hurrying on his way.

As we waited for the ambulance my three Good Samaritans kept me engaged in conversation, Shona and Helen gently tending my bleeding nose and bruised face, while Bobby kept a reassuring hand on my shoulder.  When the ambulance arrived, Helen insisted on giving me a £10 note to pay for a taxi home from the hospital – generosity which brought tears to my eyes.

I don’t know if any one of these lovely people has any religious faith, but instinctively they had each carried out Jesus’ commandment to “love your neighbour as yourself”, and for this I thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment