Saturday 18 May 2019

Bunessan (Sequel): The Mysterious Whistler


Bunessan (Sequel):  The Mysterious Whistler



The hymn tune Bunessan is a traditional Gaelic melody.  It was chosen by Mary Macdonald for the Christmas hymn she had written: Leanabh an aigh - which we know in English as Child in the manger.  It was given that name because Mary lived in that village on the island of Mull.  More recently Eleanor Farjeon chose the same melody for her hymn Morning has broken.


In my last blog (Bunessan,11 May) I explained why that tune has such a special meaning for me, reminding me of the wonderful spiritual experience which Bob and I had in Bunessan.  So you will understand my delight on hearing it again, years later, in a completely different place…



The Mysterious Whistler

One April day I was in Manchester Piccadilly train station with my sister, brother-in-law and cousin. On our way to a family reunion in Harrogate, we had paused to admire a temporary exhibition of prize-winning photographs of British landscapes. 

Suddenly I heard a delightful sound: a man whistling!  That always reminds me of my childhood when cheerful whistling often heralded the arrival of the postman, milkman or window-cleaner.  Nowadays I always thank a whistler for spreading good cheer, so when he appeared from behind the opposite display stand, I was about to do that – when I realised what he was whistling: the hymn tune Bunessan.

Bunessan!  That name struck me like a bolt from the blue!  The next few minutes are just a blur.  All I can remember is stammering “That’s Bunessan you’re whistling!” as he came to admire the photograph in front of me, then following him when he said, “This one is my favourite: the lighthouse at Beachy Head.”  As we looked at it I was still repeating in amazement, “Bunessan! That was Bunessan you were whistling!” 

He turned to me with a smile and, holding out his hand, introduced himself, saying, “I’m .....” – but at that moment a  loud announcement over the tannoy drowned out his name.  I think it began with J, but it could have been G for George

 “I’m Kathleen”, I replied, and we shook hands warmly.

 “It was nice talking to you.  I’d like to give you this”, he said, handing me a brightly coloured booklet.  I looked down at it – and when I looked back up the man had disappeared, leaving me standing there gobsmacked, full of amazement and joy! 

On the train to Harrogate I read the booklet I had been given.  It is entitled Travelling Light - and I loved it!  I had no idea what CWR (the letters of the publisher’s name) stood for, but felt a great affinity with its stated purpose: ‘Applying God’s Word to everyday life and relationships’, because that’s exactly what I hoped to do when I wrote my own book, Joyful Witness.

I love Travelling Light for all sorts of reasons:  the play on the word “light”, with the instantly striking use of bright sunny colours on the black background, the great variety of size and colour of letters and shape of paragraphs, the delivery of the key message in small manageable “bites”, the witty and down-to-earth style of the author, Jeff Lucas.

 Its starting point is an experience common to many travellers: that of struggling with heavy luggage – just as many people struggle through life with heavy burdens of worry, despair, grief, or shame.  And then, in large letters, comes the core message, contained in Jesus’ words:



Other pleasing features: the pocket size of the booklet, the smooth “special” feel of the paper and, above all, the beautiful prayer (on white) at the end, especially the words ‘Strengthen me, direct me, and touch the broken world through me’.

Unlike the usual religious tracts, it concentrates entirely on helping the reader, without any request for money or any insistence on joining a particular sect or denomination.

Back in Piccadilly station, on our return from Harrogate, I asked my sister to take a photograph of me holding Travelling Light, in front of the mysterious whistler’s favourite photograph, the lighthouse at Beachy Head.  Later, when I had it printed, I was amused to see that in the background there is a man striding along briskly, without any suitcase or cumbersome bags – only a rucksack, i.e. travelling light!



I have no idea who the kindly mysterious whistler was. I can’t even remember what he looked like! The booklet was in pristine condition, and appeared to be the only copy he had.  Maybe my babbling on about Bunessan made him think that I was in need of spiritual comfort?  My sister’s best friend had died that morning, and we were all trying to come to terms with her death, while at the same time endeavouring to keep an outward appearance of cheerfulness for the sake of the cousin whose 80th birthday we were going to celebrate. Could he possibly have sensed our hidden distress?  So many unanswered questions!   My only certainty is that this unexpected meeting brought me joy, and for that I thank God.     



(Copies of Travelling Light and other popular books by Jeff Lucas can be bought online at www.cwr.org.uk )        

2 comments:

  1. Another wonderful insight into the presence of God in our everyday - if we only care to notice!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful coïncidence ! ...and what is Life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare (and listen to the whistle...) Thanks dear Kathleen for sharing this powerful experience with us !

    ReplyDelete