Saturday 15 June 2019

Symphony on Ice


Symphony on ice

  "Would you like a bag for it?" asked the lady at the Gift Shop in the Edinburgh Portrait Gallery, where I had just bought a 1st birthday present for my sweet little friend Lily-Bow. I was amused to see the image on the bag - based on Raeburn's famous oil painting known as The Skating Minister.  (See the original on the internet!)        

Before delivering the present to Lily-Bow I took the above photograph, because the skater had reminded me of a true story which I'd like to share with you.  I've called it :

Symphony on Ice.

'It was halfway through the rehearsal – time for a five-minute break.  Carefully I laid my cello down, placing the bow on top.  I was looking forward to a chat with Margaret and Jane, two of my fellow cellists in the Ayrshire Symphony Orchestra.  The rehearsal was in an unusual place that evening – not in the lecture theatre of the local college but in a large hall, part of Ayr Ice Rink.
Just as I was about to sit down, I was surprised to see a couple coming towards me: my mother and father.  Both were looking very smart, my mother in a camel coat with a fur collar and matching fur hat, my father sporting his Bowling Club blazer over immaculate shirt and trousers.  He was quite tanned, having just returned from their visit to Australia. 

“Here we are, back from Down Under!” called Dad cheerily as they approached.

Full of joy, I rushed to give him a big hug.

But suddenly I realised that I was sitting up in bed.  It had all been a dream!  My beloved father had died fourteen years before, and the old Ayr Ice Rink was now a large supermarket.  Choking back sobs of disappointment, I quietly got out of bed, trying not to waken Bob, and made my way to the kitchen.  While I waited for the kettle to boil I thought that I had better put on the television – something I never usually did in the morning, preferring to collect my thoughts without any distraction. But today I urgently needed a change of ideas, so I switched on the TV news. 
To my astonishment, the newsreader was announcing that the skater John Curry, Gold Medal winner at the 1976 Winter Olympics, was about to present a remarkable new show.  London’s Royal Albert Hall had, for the first time, been transformed into an ice rink.  The skaters would perform to live music played by musicians sitting on chairs on the ice – giving the show its name Symphony on Ice! Instantly my sorrow was turned into joyful amazement by this powerful ‘coincidence’, and by its perfect timing. 

Throughout the day I grinned with delight whenever I thought of it, and that evening I recorded it in my special diary, describing how it had brought me comfort, joy and new energy.  As always, I ended this entry with the words ‘Deo gratias’ (Thanks be to God).'

***
A year later my mother and I were returning by train to Glasgow from Manchester after attending my two nieces’ baptism.  Suddenly Mum produced a postcard from her handbag.
“I found this in a box of souvenirs which belonged to your Gran Hamilton”, she said.  “You can keep it if you want.”



On the card was an old black and white photograph. It commemorated the opening in 1907 of Glasgow’s Crossmyloof ice rink.  This new rink had an unusual feature: four pillars supporting a small bandstand, with a quartet of musicians providing live music.  More ‘music on ice’!  I was amazed - not only by the coincidence but by the thought of the musicians crossing the ice with their instruments then climbing the ladder up to the bandstand - especially the double bass player!


(Footnote:  I never tire of watching John Curry's brilliant performance when he won his Gold Medal.  You can share my pleasure if you search John Curry 1976 Winter Olympics, Innsbruck.   Aren't we lucky to have YouTube!)

No comments:

Post a Comment