Saturday 16 November 2019

Organs and Robins


Organs and Robins!


Does the Holy Spirit have a sense of humour?  Do members of my ‘dear departed’ sometimes try to make me smile?   Does my guardian angel enjoy word play?  These are some of the questions I ask myself when I feel that a funny little coincidence has somehow been organised.  How?  By whom? I don’t claim to know the answers - but I have learned just to enjoy it and then to murmur ”Thank you!”  I remind myself of Paul’s words in 1st Corinthians, chapter 13,verse12: For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.





This picture shows the River Ayr with two of its bridges, the Auld Brig in the foreground, and the New Bridge, over which the main road leads to Ayr Town Hall with its tall spire.  (Don’t be alarmed by the sinister hand apparently rising out of the water! That’s just the reflection of my fingers – seen through the glass, darkly!)    From April to November, I attend the Monday organ recitals in the Town Hall. After parking my car near the Auld Brig, I make my way on foot to the main road, then cross to the other side of the river.


One Monday as I approached the New Bridge, I noticed a large bird perched on a tree trunk in the river. “Oh, there’s a gannet!” I thought, but then, realising my mistake, “No, that’s a cormorant, not a gannet.  Immediately after that I heard a man exclaiming to his little son, “Oh look!  That’s an air rescue helicopter from HMS Gannet” (a Royal Navy land base at nearby Prestwick Airport).  Smiling at this unexpected coincidence, I thought to myself as I crossed the bridge, “That’s funny to hear GANnet twice like that, just when I’m on my way to an orGAN recital!  It would be a strange coincidence if the programme includes something with GAN in the title!”  I tried to think of any piece by Bach, or any other of the usual composers, which had those three letters, but without success.


Just then the Town Hall clock struck twelve noon.  The recital would have started. I would have to enter the hall as quietly as possible.  Tiptoeing in, I saw Michael, the organiser of the recitals, beckon to me to sit beside him.  He silently handed me a copy of the programme.  To my surprise I saw that, for the first time ever, it included some songs.  The organist’s wife, a professional singer, was going to perform for us.  I almost disgraced myself by bursting out laughing when I saw that she had chosen the Welsh lullaby Suo GAN!




The Town Hall’s Lewis organ is a magnificent three-manual instrument.  The recitals, now in their 11th year, attract organists from all over the UK as well as from other countries, such as Germany and Italy.  There is even a waiting list of organists who wish to play it!


Just after I retired from teaching, I was delighted to have the chance to participate in a project which aimed to enable pianists to become ‘supply organists’, whenever their church organist was ill or on holiday.  My lessons took place in a church with another three-manual organ.  I found that a big challenge, especially when trying to play with my feet as well as with my hands!  However, I eventually became proficient enough to play occasionally for church services – something which I greatly enjoy.


As a contrast, I also learned to play something much easier: the ocarina, which is a little wind instrument.  I had been looking for a small lightweight instrument to take with me on my travels.  The lady in a local music shop suggested the ocarina when I told her that I was about to leave for France, to visit my musical friend, Pascal.  He and I had enjoyed playing duets when he was in Scotland – Pascal on guitar, and myself on piano or cello.  The little ocarina is limited in its range – just over an octave – but I soon found tunes which suited it and, for the first time, was pleased that I could play from memory, without any need of sheet music.  So, Pascal and I had good fun with our new-found ‘wind duets’, as he is very proficient on ‘la flute irlandaise’ i.e. the penny whistle!


Pascal’s surname Is ROBIN, so I was very amused when, sometime later, I found myself playing a duet with another Robin – but this one had wings and a red breast!  My cousin Fiona and I had stopped for a picnic at a quiet spot in a Country Park when I suddenly felt the urge to play my ocarina.  I had played only a few notes when I heard a loud burst of birdsong nearby.  A little robin had hopped along the path until he stood near me, and was singing his heart out – perhaps as a fierce declaration of his territorial rights!  Fiona quietly took this photograph of us both.  You will see him if you look for his tiny shadow on the path!



I was privileged and delighted to play the organ at the wedding of Pascal and his bride, Soizic.  The marriage took place at the village church in Iffendic, in the heart of Brittany. (Fortunately, the organ was relatively small and not too complicated!)

The following year Pascal brought Soizic on a little tour of Scotland, including a couple of days with me in Prestwick.  In a local park we stopped, to let me take a photograph of the happy couple.  To our delight, a little robin hopped up on to a branch between them.  Three ROBINS in a row!


Shortly afterwards I received a message from Pascal to say that a few days later, when in Edinburgh, they had discovered that there was another little Robin on the way!  At the end of the following May they were blessed with a lovely little son, to whom they gave the name Laouenan ROBIN.

Deo gratias

No comments:

Post a Comment